Saturday, April 4, 2009

Which is harder?

Which is harder? Writing a story from scratch where your ideas are new and you know more or less what you want to happen and how you want it to happen. Or. Re-writing an existing story (chapter, part, etc.) where you have things established the way you thought you wanted them only to find out that they didn't work out so now you have to go back and re-do almost everything?
I found myself asking that question last night while I was working on Blue Shadows. I couldn't help but try and discourage myself thinking "well, it was a bit of a flop before, so what's going to be different this time around?" "it was hard to write this part before, why should it be easier now?" "what the hell was I thinking when I wrote this part? how can I fix it?"
I bummed myself out a little bit, I think, but I'm back on the horse and ready to ride.
So, which do you think is harder? Making something from scratch or warming it up in the proverbial microwave in hopes that it was better than the last time?

-Kimmi

2 comments:

Ariyana said...

"it was hard to write this part before, why should it be easier now?"

Hee, I know, right?

Writing an original is pretty hard, especially if you're already thinking about how you might have to re-write. And if you have a readership that's counting on you.

Well, I think, emotionally, re-writes are harder because they force you to re-evaluate your original decisions. But it's sort of like having a kid. Kid may hate that you're changing all the rules just because they stayed out late. But you're doing it for their own good. So suck it up and take on the responsibility. And you'll raise yourself a little bestseller.

So, yeah, that was an uber serious answer :) I'm glad to see you're on the move back into writing. Awesome to have you back again, Kimmi-kim. *huggle*

PatriciaLouise said...

Yes, I agree that the re-write is in many ways harder than to start from scratch. When you start with a clean slate, you've got no previous expections held over your head. But...with a a re-write, you are constantly bomb-barding yourself with questions like, "Is this really better this way?" or "Jeez, I thought that scene was better written, where did I go wrong?" or "Can I really do anything else with it?"

All in all, I agree with Ariyana, suck it up and push on through. That's the only way you end up with something publishable...and, come on, we all know we're not going to be 100% happy with whatever we send in and get published anyway, right? As they say, no pain, no gain.

Cheers to writing!