Thursday, September 4, 2008

CrushCrushCrush on Fiction

Fictional crushes. We think they're silly when they concern a game junky drooling over his favorite digital rendering of a big boobed elf, but there's more to fictional crushes than hormones. Now, let's get something straight, the fictional crushes I'm discussing do not involve Gary Sue the lovable emo warrior or your favorite Harlequin hunk. I'm concerned with the characters who stay with you, the ones who remain long after the spine is broken and the pages memorized. I'm talking personalities, realistic but unreal.

Books. Television. Movies. Comics. Games.
Full of people who aren't real. Sure, they may look like people you know, they may be played by famous actors. But the characters themselves are pure fiction. So how do you crush on a fictional someone? It's pretty easy: you get addicted.

Does prefered gender matter? Probably not. If the crush concerns a character outside of your orientation, you'd probably consider the character to simply be a favorite. But there's an attractive quality to personalities can't live without.

As a writer, I collect these personalities, store away my crushes for later, but not for real-life comparasions when I'm looking for a prospective date. No, fictional crushes stay in fiction, are torn apart and put back together again to become something new. To become another reader's fictional crush.

I can't wait to make a few of my own.

1 comment:

Savvy said...

Interesting point..hmm never thought of it that way!! LOL